Poor Oral Hygiene: The signs, symptoms, and how to look after your oral health.
Dazzling Smiles in Craigieburn is here to help you make sure you move from poor oral hygiene, with passionate and understanding dentists, you can take comfort in knowing we care.
They say your smile is the first thing people notice, so making sure your smile is happy and healthy is incredibly important. Along with this, having good oral hygiene is also crucial for the health of your mouth, teeth, and gums. Did you know that there is a distinct relationship between oral hygiene and overall health?
Treating dental problems as soon as they arise is crucial, and at Dazzling Smiles Dental, we are happy to help with any questions and concerns you may have. With dedicated, highly trained, and passionate dentists in Craigieburn, we cater to and care for all patients. We offer cleaning and preventative care, so you can keep on top of your oral health.
Seven major signs of poor oral hygiene to looking out for include:
1. Bad breath
2. Bleeding or swollen gums
3. Dry mouth
4. Tooth decay
5. Tooth erosion
6. Gum disease
7. General health problems include diabetes, cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, and dementia.
As well as these, signs of poor oral health may also include tooth pain, alterations to the tongue, growths within the mouth, deteriorating gums, plaque build-up, sensitivity to hot/cold food and drink and visible cavities.
While there are common signs and symptoms of poor oral health, it is important to remember that not all signs of poor oral hygiene are not easily visible at home, and will need an experienced dentist, so it is important to not skip dental check-ups, which are generally recommended every six months.
Tips for good oral health suggested by dentist in Craigieburn
There are many things you can do to optimise your oral health in between regular dental check-ups.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Brushing your teeth is important to remove plaque and bacteria that builds up from eating and drinking.
It is also incredibly important to brush your tongue; most people only focus on their teeth and gums, but not brushing your tongue can lead bacteria to grow and cause bad breath.
- Floss daily. Flossing can help remove anything that lodges between your teeth, as you can get into the gaps and crevices. Flossing is also a good way to monitor your teeth for sensitivity, redness, and early signs of potential issues.
- Replace your toothbrush every 3-4 months. A worn-out toothbrush will lose the ability to effectively clean the teeth. This is why it is important to replace it every 3-4 weeks, or when it begins to look worn out.
- Avoiding cigarettes and limiting refined sugar intake are two important steps you can take to improve your overall health, as well as significantly protect yourself from tooth decay, gum disease and other serious dental problems.
- Oral health education is incredibly important, and many dental health problems can be avoided with a healthy diet and proper cleaning.
If you are having a dental emergency in Craigieburn, we have experienced emergency dentists in Craigieburn who understand exactly how to help you. Our highly trained staff is dedicated to providing you and your family with the best dental care. We strive to provide patients with high-quality general, cosmetic, and emergency dental as well as oral hygiene education and dental emergencies for kids. We are the preferred provider of HCF and nib.
Our team at Dazzling Smiles Dental in Craigieburn, is dedicated and passionate about dentistry and oral hygiene and are happy to help you. You can book an appointment or call us on 03-8339-4253 for more advice and information.